Monday, June 7, 2010

If it's not one thing...

Last night was a rough practice for me. Even though I was there for all four hours and on skates for most of the non-scrimmage time it felt like it was a couple of steps backward for me.

My first issue last night was that I didn't properly hydrate before practice. This should have been the first thing on my mind with all the hot, humid weather we've been having. I was ok when I started skating but by the end of a 16-minute push/pull drill I was feeling dizzy and shaky. I tried to do a couple more drills but was getting so dizzy that I needed to sit down and drink water.

While the dizziness started to go away as I drank my brain switched focus to the other major issue I had list night - my arthritic hips. They really haven't been an issue thus far, other than on the odd occasion, but I think that the hot, humid summer weather is making them flare up. After practice last Tuesday I could barely hobble around the office at work.

I acquired this lovely ailment during my time in the Army National Guard. I developed a major stress-fracture on the right side of my pelvis which wasn't diagnosed or treated until I had been doing hard labor on it for six-week it had progressed to the point that I could no longer stand up (fortunately during the last week of basic training).

After three months of recovery time I was allowed to finish training but the months of compensating for the pain/injury caused issues in my left hip. From that point on, any time I ran, did lots of walking, or other hihg-impact activities I get a lot of hip pain and it's worse if it's humid.

Was back when the arthritis and bursitis was first diagnosed I was given some samples of the anti-inflammatory Bextra, which has since been pulled off the market. I could take it on an as-needed basis and it worked beautifully. I think it's time to get myself back to the doctor to have it checked out again.

Everything in derby uses your hips and while I don't want to do permanent damage to myself I am not willing to give up on this crazy sport. I just need to find a way to manage the inflammation when it gets bad (which is not all the time).

I guess I just feel like if it's not one thing it's another at this point. I had a lot of back pain early on (which has greatly improved). Then I had the whole arch pain/skate issue (which has now been resolved). Now it's my hips. While I am confident that this is all manageable, I'm just frustrated that there are more hurdles to jump in my derby progression.

Lots of people offered encouragement last night which helped get me through some tough spots. Thanks to some ibuprofen from Slam I think my hips are much less sore than they otherwise would have been.

No comments: