Thursday, February 4, 2010

Short Practice

We had an abbreviated practice today due to a previously booked party at Roller Kingdom. Just because it was short doesn't mean it was any less of a challenge for me.

I forgot to pop some advil before practice for the first time in a while. I ran into some back and foot cramping issues today. Sometimes I think I need to just slow down and concentrate on form more.

Empress said during assessments Monday that I'd probably have fewer issues with my back if I got lower. The only problem with that is after not much time "skating low" my legs crap out on me. I know that will improve as my strength builds but it's tough knowing that one of the things that will help me isn't sustainable for all that long.

We did what I'll call a speed drill today. Speed is definitely not my forte. I don't think being a jammer is going to be in the cards for me unless something dramatically changes. I was in the "intermediate" line (as opposed to the fast line). This is where I was having back issues.

We were skating in a pace line and the person from the back had to skate to the front of the line going around the outside. I was in the middle-ish of the line so by the time it was my turn my back was already starting to cramp up. I was having a tough time just keeping up with the line, nevermind passing everyone on the outside.

Major suckage.

I ended up dropping out and skating around the outside and trying to work on my crossovers. I hate having to drop out of drills. It frustrates the crap out of me when I can't do something.

At the very least I got some more practice with crossovers. I feel like I got some good speed, at least my current standard for good speed since I was trying to do crossovers on every turn. I need to remember to put my weight on the outside of my left skate so it turns while I'm balancing on it. I wasn't doing that and things were getting a little squirrely.

I helped out with stats again for the scrimmage. We had a ton of guests today so it was a nice scrimmage. The teaming committee was also evaluating people for A & B teams tonight so that was exciting for them. I can't wait to see what we end up with for the three new team names (B Interleague, A & B Intraleague).

I look forward to the day I'll be able to scrimmage with excitement but I know that I have miles to go before I get there. Before I go I want to give a shout out to SS Trixie for sending me a bunch of core exercises that will hopefully help with my back issues; and to Hazel for telling me to stand on one foot while I brush my teeth (and other fabulous balance tricks).

In completely superficial news, I just found some AMAZING free "fire" fonts that I can use for merch for myself. I might do up a cheapy shirt with my name, number, and the NHRD logo - knowing full well that I'll have to trash it if it doesn't get approved for some reason.

4 comments:

Dirty Kat Box said...

I 100% understand. I hate if I can't physically keep up or finish a drill. It makes me feel like I NEVER will get it - but each time, it gets better and better....

neon / Michele said...

I was ready to join you at one point but got saved by the water-bottle bell.

Mousling said...

See if your local rink has speed skating classes. I'm really slow (and lacking in the endurance department...) but speed classes have helped out a good deal. You're probably going to end up wanting to curl in the fetal position afterward for the first few sessions, but you can do it!

Helen Carnate said...

Oddly enough, my second cousin is an Olympic short track speed skater and my uncle won the Master's short track nationals at least once. He's given me some workout suggestions but nothing specific on skates. I'll have to ask him if he cross-trains on in-lines at all...