Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Goals for tomorrow

1) Stretch properly

I know that I have not been stretching properly the last couple of weeks. I got some great advice this evening on some potential reasons for the foot pain I have been dealing with. It's been so bad that I haven't been stretching properly which is causing all sorts of other problems when I skate.

Thursday I will show up extra early to stretch a bit off skates. I will concentrate on skating with my knees out/straight and not push off with my toes. Hopefully this will keep my feet from cramping so I can focus on stretching properly on skates.

2) Good form

I will sit into derby stance and not lean forward, putting undue stress on my back. I will skate low on straightaways and extra low doing crossovers on corners. I will concentrate on not letting my knees bend into the middle.

These things may seem simple or basic to an experienced skater but to a newbie like me, focusing on all of this at once will be a challenge. I hope that eventually I won't even need to think about this and I can focus on other things.

Hazel posted some cool stuff on her blog about "flow" - that happy place where you are pushing yourself to the edge of your limits but not beyond. Despite the pain on Monday I feel like I might have made it close to flow.

I was really nervous about trying the one-foot cone weave. I made myself try it and although I wasn't 100% successful, I feel like I did better than I thought I would. Next time we do that drill I need to push myself to make it around two consecutive cones and not just one.

Irate posted to me yesterday that she sees potential in me. That little five-word sentence meant a lot to me. It made me feel like there's a chance that one day I WILL be able to take part is something like SFOD's 79-72 win over GMDD. I have loved every minute of my derby experience but I don't always feel like I have the chops to make it all the way. Thanks, Irate, for making my morning when I got your post! :-D

No comments: