Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bleeding for derby, but not on the track!

Has it really been 57 days since our last blood drive? Time flies when you're playing derby, I guess!

Today I donated my A+ lifejuice with NHRD to benefit the American Red Cross. Or at least I tried to. After my 19 minute bleed the first time, I was determined to come in juiced up on iron and so well hydrated that I could float my way to Manchester. I just barely made the cut on Iron, despite gorging myself on red meat throughout the week. I drank a liter of water the morning of the donation (granted after two "pineapple bombs" at karaoke the night before).

I came in with my shiny new donor card and did my best. Unfortunately, after about 5 minutes, my best just wasn't good enough and they had to end my donation early with a partially full bag. I hope they can do something useful with it at least!

The league had set a goal of 25 units before this drive. I am pleased to say that my the time Dirty Kat Box and I left around 12:45 that we had helped collect 43+ units of blood! I add the plus because they were still accepting people, even though the drive officially ended at noon. Way to go NHRD!

I'm feeling a bit derby deprived as it will have been a week on Tuesday since my last official practice. I'm going to try to get to Roby tomorrow evening after the sun sets for a bit of action and I'll be skating in the parade in Manchester on Monday (although I'm a little nervous about that - nothing like doing a face plant in front of parade crowds!)

No comments: