Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Even the best laid plans...

Soooo... the Roby Park thing isn't going to happen tonight thanks to the lovely, yet unpredictable mother nature. We had quite the storm come through earlier this evening which turned Roby Park into Roby Pool. Instead of skating, the three of us freshies (Me, Slashya, and Kristin) met Bettie, Dee, and Sloppy Jones at Chili's for dinner and chit chat.

It was a nice chance to bond with people off skates. I allowed myself to admit out loud that it's ok to say "no" to derby sometimes. Poor Mr. Carnate was all excited when it rained and said, "This means you're not going out tonight right?". When I told him about the alternate dinner plans he got the sad puppy face and said "oh... ok.... :-("

I need to remember that sometimes it IS ok to say "no" to derby. After an all-derby week last week and another one shaping up this week I need not only some family time, but some "me" time as well. I took next week off from work and I'm going to be home by myself all day everyday. It's going to be awesome. It will be time to catch up on a lot of the non-derby life stuff that has fallen by the wayside since this amazing sport took over my life in January.

Assessments are tomorrow at 6:30. All I can do, knowing that I've never skated on this surface, is push to do my best. If I don't make it again then so be it. Bettie made a good point tonight that once we pass, that's it. We're on our own - not that she doesn't still love us - but that we need to take it upon ourselves to work on the things we need to work on for level twos. Even if I don't get there this time, I think it will be soonish. I can feel it getting closer.

No comments: