Friday, May 21, 2010

W00T!

The following w00t was delayed due to unscheduled late-night celebration. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Last night I passed my Level 1 assessment. W00t.

It was unexpected, so much so that when Bettie came over to No Name Erica and I, I thought we were in trouble for something (Bettie has a good poker face). Allow me to recap the back story...

Two and a half weeks ago we had our assessments (second time around for me). I passed everything EXCEPT crossovers. The feedback I received was that they're there, but I get fatigued quickly (which is true), and when I'm fatigued my cross-overs get clunky (not cool). So Erica and I were told that we were "mere practices away".

Cool. Because there wasn't really anything we could do in the freshie corral that would help us, Bettie and Empress allowed us to participate in light contact (booty blocking, leaning, etc) drills.

Last night I was warming up on the track (actually inside the rope!) and I was doing crossovers and not even thinking about it. They felt good. Stable. Effortless. The very first drill we did after warm ups was a transitioning drill which always makes me feel completely inept because, at the moment, I can't do them. Period. I paired up with Indigo (another freshie) and we tried to stay off to the side and work on them while standing in place. I think I've figured out part of my problem (I'm turning the wrong way) and plan to test my theory on the apartment complex tennis court on Sunday.

We did some drills working on lateral movement. I know I need to work on my agility. I think that as my endurance improves that the agility will partially come along with it. We did a basic drill where we had to move quickly to the inside and outside of the track using a single, quick crossover.

The next drill was kind of cool... we grouped up in fives - one jammer and four blockers. Only one blocker was active, the other three were zombie opposing blockers. The active blocker had to push her way through the zombie blockers to hit the jammer coming up on the outside. The jammer would then drop back and come up on the inside and the blocker would have to push through the zombie pack again. I got Grace with a shoulder check that pushed her out of bounds (and unfortunately me as well). I joke with her for the rest of the evening that she was my "first".

Later we did a booty blocking drill in groups of three - two blockers and a jammer - which was a basic, get around the pair of blockers drill. We're so big that we had to divide in half to fit everyone on the track. I was in the first group to skate and I went with Bash and Ethel. I accidentally clocked Bash in the face with a flying elbow :-(

After we finished it was our turn to go to the middle for workout-type stuff. I knew I had worked hard tonight because my pigtails were drenched. I have sooooo much to learn yet on the contact side but I felt like it was a pretty good night. As we were getting up, Bettied came over and crooked her finger at Erica and I (this is where I thought we were in trouble). When we skated over a big smile spread across her face and she said. "Congratulations, you have passed your level ones!".

I, of course, released a "squee" and gave her a big icky workout hug. Then Erica and I gave each other a hug. Then I skated over to Empress and said, "I would give you a hug but I'm icky" and she said, "oh please, like I'm not" and gave me a hug. :-D I'm smiling as I type this remembering the feeling.

To some people, level 1's are not a big deal - they're easy. To me they were not. It took me four months and fifteen days to pass. I have gone from a completely non-athletic couch potato who hadn't skates since age 8 or so to being cleared for contact. To quote Mr. Vice President, "This is a big %(&$ing deal!".

I need to keep in mind that I have now gone from being a big fish in a small pond to being a teeny tiny fish in a big pond and I have a LOT to learn. I have been pushed out of the nest for my own good and am now forced to fly on my own.

I wanted to take a minute to reflect on some of the goals I've mentioned throughout this blog that I've now achieved:
1) Skate through an entire practice without dropping out of a drill.
2) Force myself to skate on the track, even though I am slow.
3) Skate over the damn rope.
4) Stretch more - this one is debatable. I did really well for a while but lately I haven't been doing my extra stretching.
5) Good form - this one is also debatable. I'm doing better than I was but I'm still getting back cramping when doing longer drills that require low derby stance.

New goals
1) Work on transitions whenever there is down time and on my own.
2) Force myself to do crossovers every single lap of a sprint, even if I'm not going that fast.
3) Skate for five minutes straight regardless of laps (I'll have to time myself).
4) Be eligible for teaming by the beginning of next season.

I think my biggest hurdles as I look ahead to level 2's will be transitions/turning toe stops and the endurance component. Everything else I am confident that I will pick up during the coming months.

Thank you for sticking with me on this one. Thank you to everyone who has given me advice or encouragement along the way. I know this is just the first stop on a long road trip but I really wanted to thank the people who helped me get this far in the first place. Sometimes it felt like I would never make it.

Even though I am technically no longer considered a freshie now, let the journey continue! :-D

3 comments:

Kiss 'n Vinegar said...

Excellent news! All your hard work has certainly paid off!!

Vegan Vixen said...

Woohoo!!!!! Congrats my dear!!

Callaluna said...

I am so proud of you!!! Keep up the good work!