Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I have a lot to learn!

This isn't a rant, by any means. I had a pretty darn good practice tonight - my first full practice after being cleared for contact. I have to say it was a little weird not raising my hand when the trainer asked who wasn't cleared for contact. It became extra apparent to me tonight just how much I still have to learn.

I hung in there with almost every drill for the whole time (had a lace issue during one, and a back cramp during another). We were doing some long endurance drills so I'm pretty pleased with that, based on prior performance.

I need to stop psyching myself out over transitions. Methinks the tennis court across the street and I have some hot dates coming up.
I need to be more laterally agile when booty blocking. I have a big butt and can get my feet wide but that does me no good if I can't move side to side to stay in front of a jammer or another blocker
I need to get faster. I feel like a turtle compared to everyone else.
I need to learn to run on my toestops, or otherwise get better starts.
I need to strengthen my core and ensure I have good form so I can minimize back cramping.

There's a lot more that I need to learn but those five things really jumped out at me over practice tonight. My booty blocking was fail tonight but I was able to land a solid-feeling shoulder hit. Yay for baby steps!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So much of a solid booty block is making sure to move conservatively. A lot of people go out too far on the turns and the jammer can easily jump to the inside. You don't need to exactly mirror her movements - just make sure your body is in front of her center of gravity and she can't leap around you.

Also, try keeping your eyes over just one shoulder rather than switching back and forth. If you can't see the jammer, you know she's going the other way. Jammers often wait until the blocker in front of them is turning her head to make a move. Even that split second of looking forward is enough of a window to escape.

Helen Carnate said...

Thanks for the tips dread! I plan to try them out next Tuesday at practice! :D

Unknown said...

I am willing to work on transitions and agility with you any time. It's stuff that didn't come easy for me, so I'm sympathetic to those who have to claw their way towards turning toe stops and lateral movement. And I have to work on it all the damn time or I freak out and convince myself I can't do it.