Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sisterhood of the Travelling Booty Pants



I don't remember where I read it but whoever wrote it wasn't kidding when they said that you make insta-friends when you join a derby league! Every single member of NHRD I have met so far has been fabulous. They are unbelievably caring people doling out endless encouragement.

It started with (I think) Hazel and Bettie trying to help me up off the ground when I bailed during a drill at my very first practice. The hardcore (to me) calisthenics kicked my arse and skating afterward was like trying to push off with cooked spaghetti. I know *how* to get up off the floor, my legs just simply were not working. I tried pushing off of the two lovely ladies that had come to my rescue and STILL couldn't do it (totally embarrassing). Eventually I made it to a cone for stability and hauled myself up.

Everyone has been so friendly, social, and encouraging - even if the progress made is miniscule. They cheer you in your success and support you in your challenges. It's the most awesome team environment I think I have every been in. Basic Training had a similar feeling but everything felt a bit more restrained (we lived in fear of the Drill Sergeants' wrath).

My phone was vibrating what seemed like every two seconds today with all the Facebook friend requests, and NHRD ladies checking up on me after yesterdays relay festivities (Pulled muscle baaaaaad. Heating pad goooood! Think James Hetfield in the infamous Napster cartoon). My derby confidence level is not all that high yet and little setbacks like the pulled muscle don't help but everyone has been so amazingly awesome and encouraging.

While I know some of the derby girls better than others I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone. I'm going to the Marketing meeting on Thursday so hopefully I'll get to know the folks in PR, Charities, and the Street Team a bit better. I'll get there... patience just isn't my strong suit. ;-)

2 comments:

Mousling said...

I've noticed that it's not just the girls on my league that are awesome and supportive, but pretty much every single derby girl I've come across. I live in an area with about 5 leagues within 100 miles so you can't really hit up the rink without meeting someone else from another league and all of them have been just as amazing, helpful and supportive as my league mates. It's awesome, isn't it? :D

-Twister Knickers, Tilted Thunder Rail Birds

Anonymous said...

Rock on, lady! I can totally understand the impatience you described in the former entry, but you are going to reach your goals. We all will, with a little BioFreeze, a little ibuprofen, a lotta hours on skates, and a lotta help from our friends!
Have you read "Mind Gym" by Gary Mack? The guy comes off as kind of a self-absorbed professional sports nut name-dropper, but the content generally rocked my world. I recommend eeet!

- FM Chelsea