Saturday, January 23, 2010

Six practices in...

After three weeks I am pleased to say that I am still in one piece, although not progressing as fast as I would like to be. We (the January class of freshies) have started to learn some "derby skills" like swoops, Johnny Rockets (the non-contact variety for us), hip whips, and pushes.

Tuesday evening was a great small-group practice as it was made optional due to snow. Me, FM Kiersten, and FM Jesenik represented the freshmeat and there was a nice selection of old stinky meat on hand to help out. We did our first pack skating and I finally think I'm getting the mechanics of "eight on the floor" - where you propel yourself without lifting your skates off the ground. We did a really fun drill where we lined up and hip whipped ourselves from the back of the pack to the front of the pack. I was a little timid at first and not really pulling on the person in front of me but I caught on after about three or four people.

My back continues to be my achilles heel (if that makes any sense). I feel like I have the mechanics of what we've learned so far down, or close to down but I can only sustain things like low pack skating for five minutes or so and then my lower back completely cramps up. Betty has said that is about lack of core strength (and the extra belly weight probably doesn't help) so after I finish writing this I'm off to clear a spot in the living room to do some crunches - there may be a big exercise ball purchase in my future.

If I understood correctly, after twelve practices the freshies are eligible to choose a derby name. I'm halfway there and to be honest, it feels like twelve practices (six weeks) would be early. I don't feel like I've done enough to earn one yet. I'm completely serious about derby - it's fantastic - and I plan to do it until I can't (and then ref or volunteer once I can't) but I don't fully *feel* like a derby girl yet. Maybe it will be better after I pass my level one assessment. Maybe it won't be until I don't have to drop out of a drill because it feels like my back is seizing up. I know that eventually I will feel like I'm getting there, I just don't quite yet.

I have been known to obsess over things I'm excited about. I have to remind myself that I'm new and people might not always want to hear my ideas for things. I feel like I should spend a bit more time with my ears open and my mouth closed but sometimes ideas leak out anyway. I work on little things on my own and file them away for a time when I feel comfortable asking the league or committee if they would find xxxxxx project or idea helpful. The last thing I want to be is the annoying new person who won't shut up. I just get really excited, that's all!

I will talk about roller derby to anyone who expresses the slightest interest. I've told at least five  people (three of them complete strangers) about our next recruitment night. I get warm fuzzies when I'm able to put to rest some people's miconceptions or outdated ideas of what modern WFTDA derby is. "Do you skate around punching people in the face?" Nope. "You must have to really big and rough to do that!" Nope. Small and rough works too! I went to hang a Ball flyer in a salon in Milford and ended up writing the website and recruitment night information on a card for one of the stylists. It's infectious in a completely awesome way. We need a derby pandemic!

I find these days that even though practices are mentally tough for me (I'm very hard on myself when I don't perform where I *think* I should be) I have a great time and look forward to them every week with a mix of giddiness and a pinch of worry. I can't get on skates enough. I get frustrated when I try to go to a Saturday morning open skate and the parking lot is so full I can't get a space and can't skate. It sounds like I'm going to miss the Sunday open skate since I'm helping out with the photoshoot tomorrow and we're going out for beverages after.

Six practices in and I'm still loving derby and the lovely ladies of NHRD that make it so awesome! <3

4 comments:

Irate Pirate said...

One thing to help you get over the "Mental Hurdle".. read the Mind Gym. Fantastic and quick read written by a sports psychologist. There are so many exercises you can do to put your mind into the right place... 'cause one you do that your body follows more quickly.

Trust me, we all went through the growing pains of being Freshmeat. It can be rough, but you gotta just keep going. Train at home as much as you can and you are gonna be kick ass in no time!

FMKelly said...

I am loving the experience as a Freshmeat - it's great that everyone is friendly and HELPFUL! Your doing great BTW! :)

Larissa Powers said...

Also, try using your elliptical if you can't skate on a hard setting and go slow... that will build leg and core strength. You could also get up earlier on Saturday to skate! ;)

Callaluna said...

I am so glad your enjoying it!! I wanna see some video footage soon! I must live vicariously!