Friday, April 9, 2010

First Date

I was nervous, but excited as I drove to south Nashua. I've been waiting for this day for weeks. We met briefly several weeks ago but haven't seen each other since. This has a very good chance of being extremely awesome but could still go horribly wrong after I've invested so much. We met at a shop and I was definitely infatuated... it remains to be seen if it will turn to love. There was the usual awkwardness of a first date but overall it was a pleasant experience. I'll definitely go on a second one!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have met my skates.


The above description may sound a little melodramatic but that was exactly what was going through my head as I pulled into the parking lot of the Bruised Boutique. Anyone who read my Facebook page today knew I was excited but I was more nervous than I was expecting to be. What if they didn't fit? What if I don't end up liking them? It's not like I can sell a pair of skates that are two different sizes!

The good news is that so far they are amazing. I wasn't going to skate tonight but fate tipped in my favor. There was a water main break on the road I have to take to get home so traffic was an absolute nightmare. I picked up my skates, called home and found out the traffic was still bad. Stranded in South Nashua at nearly 7pm. WHat could I do. There is only one thing...

Teen Night. *doom music*

I will refrain from ranting too much about teen night. It will suffice to say that it is essentially a roller skating rink packed full of half-dressed teenagers (parents - do you have any idea what your kids are wearing?) acting quite rudely with the foulest mouths I have ever heard (and after 6 years in the Army that's saying something).

Dee loosed my trucks one turn but after attempting to do some scissors on my first lap it was apparent that they needed more. I did them another half turn and switched over to double lacing (which I now see that I need to adjust as my right big toe is tingly as I sit here in skates). Better but still tight. I'm going to do another half turn before bed tonight, put my toe stops up a bit and then try them out at the substantially less busy adult skate on Sunday. The balance point is different so I was definitely a little wobbly, although I'm sure I will adjust in time.

All in all a great way to end the week - my first date with the skates. They're hotties. :-)

2 comments:

Mousling said...

Nice skates! They look like mine, complete with the lacing. :>

The toe was REALLY tight when I first got them, to the point of misery and angst, but they stretch out quite a bit. I also had to loosen the trucks a lot more than I expected and I tooootally hear you on the balance point!

Have fun breaking them in! It'll be SO worth it. :D

-Twister

Larissa Powers said...

Hahaha it looks like Tim Burton designed them 8')