Thursday, April 8, 2010

Jabberjaw

I will talk to anyone, anywhere, any time about roller derby. Fortunately I had the chance to do just that at the Nashua Telegraph's Every Woman Expo this evening. Myself, Roxie, StingHer, Tiara, and Hollywood were all there sporting NHRD gear. We had an amazing table with a great photo display, slideshow, posters and cards galore, and merch for sale.

This expo was substantially smaller in size than the Manchester WZID Women's Expo back in February. I would say the attendance was probably proportional, perhaps a bit lighter. Being a weeknight instead of a weekend day probably contributed to that. I really hope we can secure the funds to have a booth at the ZID show next year. It would be worth every penny for the league.

From 5-8pm I got to chat to people about roller derby. Attendees ranged from 16 to 86 - some wanted to skate with us, other wanted to ref and everyone agreed that a derby bout is a great evening out! I talked about what it was like just starting, how things are different than they sued to be in the 1970s, and the state of roller derby in the US today (nearly 400 leagues!).

In short. I talked. A lot. I would do it again as often as I needed to to promote this amazing sport and the way in can empower women and delight fans.

Before I went to the expo I stopped by the Bruised Boutique to get a pink tutu and some socks. I am going to need them for the league photo that we're taking the day of the home opener and I figured I could wear them tonight too. When I walked in, Dee gave me some news...

My skates are coming in tomorrow! My SKATES are coming in tomorrow. My skates are coming in TOMORROW!

SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

*composes self* So, yes. My skates are coming in tomorrow. I am going to pick them up after work tomorrow and probably will not take them off all weekend. I need to read up on heat forming leather boots using a hair dryer. I don't want to break my new playthings!

I am also spending the evening making signs for use at Saturday's season kick off party. A group of us will be parked out on the corner of Main and Canal in Nashua promoting both the league and the party at Penuche's. If you're local we hope to see you there. NHRD will be out from 3 to last call. 50 cents of every PBR purchased will go to benefit the league!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha I was at Bruised Boutique today too!! Helping someone else get their skates & pads.