Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It's all in the hips...

I didn't particularly want to go to practice tonight. I was super duper tired and had a frazzley day at work. I just wanted to have a chill night. I did go to practice in the end and I am glad I did. I started out grumpy but ended up feeling pretty darn good, though pooped.

Tonight was a short practice for some reason so we didn't start until 8:15. We did 30 minutes of off-skates plyometrics to get us started. I always find myself in a dilemma with these because if I push myself during plyo, I'm jello for skating. If I take it easy then I'm OK for skating.

I decided to push it and earned myself a very sore bum. As difficult as plyo is for me I really like the way I feel after I do it. I need to make myself do it at home more often!

As predicted, I was jello afterward. We really only worked on one thing for the last half hour of practice - crescents. I had a lot of trouble with these when we first did this drill a few months ago. Now I know that my trucks were far to tight (they still could use some loosening) and I wasn't moving my hips.

Tonight I worked with Trina on these and something clicked. Maybe it was the trucks and maybe it was the fact that Trina said, "You won't turn if you don't move your hips". I turned my hips when I led with one foot and sure enough, I turned!

I still have a long way to go to really feel adept with these but this is the first time in a while that I've actually felt like maybe I do have the stuff to do this derby thing after all! I now have a new thing to work on at open skates so I'm pretty excited.

Lead with the foot.
Stay low.
Twist your hips.

I'm clearly built like a blocker and now I'm starting to grow the seeds of the blocker I may become. Good practice!

No comments: