Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Tentative Hallelujah

As much as I want to shed tears of joy and dance around the parking lot in my hot pink tutu that my skates are amazing I am going to hold back for a few more practices. The preliminary results from practice #1, however, are a tentative "hallelujah". :-)

For the first time in many practices I was not afraid to get out on the tracks as soon as I had my gear on. Lately I've been hesitant to do so because the sooner I started skating, the sooner my arches would feel like they were tightropes being sawed through.

They rub a bit on my ankle bones - more so on my right foot than my left which causes a little tenderness but that will change as the leather softens up and breaks in. I bought some terrycloth wristbands for my ankles to try to mitigate the pain but they just ended up riding up my legs (as Mr. Carnate predicted).

We did a brief session of "Skater Sister Says" followed by a "Diamond" drill - skating in the most efficient path possible around the track, crossing over the whole time. While I felt like I was getting back to where I was with crossovers on my old skates I had some of the faster skaters flying by me which made my confidence drop through the floor.

Afterward us Level 0's retreated to the freshie corral to work on slides and stops. Work in the freshie corral always involved a lot of standing - especially with 19 of us (16 newbies and 3 holdovers) waiting our turn to go. Toward the end of skating my feet started to get a little tender but it was NOT my arches. It felt more like my heels and the balls of my feet - the same place that gets tender after standing a long time in street shoes.

I ran into a little numbness so I am currently experimenting with lacing pattern #3 (Lace 1-3, Skip 4, 6, and 8, Lace 9-10). I'm also wearing thicker socks at the moment to help stretch things out a bit. I'm having Mr. Carnate help around the house because, while I want to get these broken in, I don't trust myself with a pan of hot sausage from the oven while skating around a teeny tiny kitchen.

No comments: