Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Leaving on a jet plane

Indeed... I will not be back at an NHRD practice for two whole weeks. I am traveling for work over the next week and a half. I'm heading to Philly for a couple of days for a trade show this week. I'm home for a day to do laundry and sleep in and then early Sunday morning I'm off to my company's headquarters in Appleton, WI.

While I will be far too busy in Philly to get any skating in, I have made contact with both WFTDA-AL leagues in the Appleton area and am hoping to practice with both during my five days in Wisconsin. The Fox Cityz Foxz and the Paper Valley Roller Girls have both seemed very nice thus far.

I will be bringing my skates and basic gear so I can at least skate at the two open skates that are around. I plan to take lots of notes on what other WFTDA-AL leagues do for training, PR, etc... since we're in NH and they're in WI it's not like I'm engaging in espionage or anything. They will both be a different WFDTA region when we all graduate from the apprentice program.

In other news... the skates were ordered today (4-6 weeks) and my kneepads should be arriving tomorrow. Yippee!

The league found out the results of the votes on team names at the league meeting last night. The B-Team is now the Queen City Cherry Bombs and the home teams are the Granite Skate Troopers and the Seabrook Meltdowns.

We've announced a public contest to design the three team logos. Each winner will receive a pair of 2010 season tickets. I'll update this post with a link to the press release once it's posted on the NHRD website. This is open to artists anywhere (we could probably arrange a different prize if season tickets aren't geographically possible).

Also... don't forget to get your tickets for the home opener double header with NHRD's Skate Free or Die! All-Stars versus the Garden State Rollergirls' Ironbound Maidens and our Queen City Cherry Bombs versus Central Mass Roller Derby! Tickets can be purchased online for $8 or at the door for $10. Don't wait! We're expecting to sell this one out!

I'll try to sneak on here during my travels and give people the scoop on my interleague adventures. Until then, see you in derby land!

No comments: