Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Six Laps

I have a LONG way to go before I am able to scrimmage. At practice today we started a tri-weekly tracking project. During endurance weeks we do lots of 2 minute sprints. We are now self-tracking how many laps we do in those two minutes. The laps are recorded for us to check against during the next endurance week.

I did six laps in two minutes.

Six.

In order to scrimmage I need to be able to do 25 laps in five minutes. I know I am badly out of shape and I know I need to lose a large quantity of weight. Correcting both of those things will go a long way to helping me haul my ass around the track faster, but I need to do better now.

The way I calculate it, I need to be able to do at least 11-12 laps in two minutes to make the 25 in 5. Inevitably I will slow down as the five minutes progress.It will be interesting to see if the new skates make any difference. I should have them by then. I can't wait to see what if feels like to skate in boots that actually fit!

4 comments:

Poofy_Puff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helen Carnate said...

Fixed. (25 in 5 - knew that... it's just late and I have derby brain :P)

Dirty Kat Box said...

I did 7 my first time, I didn't do the opposite way because I felt like I was going to vomit and then I did 6 the last time. I will tell you that Empress did tell me that our issue is not speed at this point, it is percision- doing the crossovers correctly. Once we get that, our endurance will build. We aren't long distance runners, our bodies are not use to this, it will come.

Unknown said...

It will definitely come. I have faith in both of you. As your crossovers get stronger, you will get more power out of each step. You'll also get lower, which makes you more aerodynamic and faster.

New skates will make a huge difference. And so does having a goal...even if it's just telling yourself that you're going to do better than last time.