Saturday, March 6, 2010

A pint down...

I gave blood for the very first time today and it didn't involve a skate to the face or a toothpick-sized splinter. Today NHRD sponsored a blood drive with the American Red Cross of Manchester, NH.

I had tried to give blood once before while I was in the Army but was turned away because they couldn't find a suitable vein. They may have been onto something because it took my 19 minutes to fill my little bag of blood (the ARC worker said that it normally takes 7-12 minutes).

I had done my homework in advance. I popped multi-vitamins, ate lots of spinach and red meat (I know, twist my arm, right?) and tried to drink lots of water. I passed all the screening questions, though I was nervous that they would chuck me out because Mr. Carnate is from the other side of the pond.

They sat me down in a lovely lawn chair where I proceeded to relax while two technicians poked around both of my arms. In the end, it took a very patient tech to hold the needle at a precise angle to get things to flow at a reasonable speed.

It was so great to see how all the women of NHRD came out for this. Although our goal had been 50 units, we racked up a total of 37 units and a couple of platelet donors. 12 of the 37 units came from NHRD skaters; many of whom, like me, were giving for the first time. I blame the absolutely GORGEOUS weather on the lack of donors.

After I had donated and recovered, Hearty and I took our bout date banner (which is ten kinds of awesome) down to the corner of Bridge and Mammoth in Manchester to wave at cars and try to attract some attention. Heart had brought her gear so she suited up. I think her hot pink helmet helped us get noticed.

We had lots of people waving back, honking, and smiling at us. After an hour or so I could tell when people were mouthing the words, "roller derby". I can only hope that some of those smiles, honks, and waves translate into warm backsides in the stands at JFK in April!

Tomorrow night is recruitment night. In contrast to how terrified I was for my first recruitment night, I am SO EXCITED about this one! It sounds like we'll have a ton of league members there to greet the 16 - yes that's S-I-X-T-E-E-N - potential freshies. My class had 10 and everyone thought THAT was huge!

I think the injection of fresh blood into the league will have a huge effect. I remember how energized everyone seemed when my class started, granted it was also the beginning of our first season affiliated with WFTDA as an Apprentice League!

It sounds like the Charities committee has some more blood drives lined up. I'm looking forward to donating again unless the techs run screaming from me! :-P

No comments: